Prevent Home Fires : Winter concern for Kashmir ! Mohammad Altaf Dar

'Prevent Home Fires : Winter concern for Kashmir ! Mohammad Altaf Dar  '

Prominent Socio Political Activist And Sr Trade Union Leader Mohammad Altaf Dar express his concern over the hundreds of fire accidents destroy many houses, commercial establishments in Kashmir every year which adds up to the loss of rupees,worth of property.

As reportedly Local government/administration in UT Jammu And Kashmir are not equipped with fire engines making the hope for effective damage control during fire outbreaks very less. Maintenance of technology is a major issue.reportedly Engines are often kept without proper repair and maintenance making them dysfunctional during times of need.

The unregulated, widespread use of heating appliances has been a major cause of deaths and hospitalizations of many people in UT J&K in recent years. As heating technology is becoming more and more used by the masses the risks attached with it are growing too. Home,commercial buildings and hotel accidents caused by fire are more likely to occur during winter time. A malfunctioning heating unit and a deficient ventilation system can lead to serious injuries and in the worst case scenario it can cause death as well.

Although there is a lack of proper data concerning fire accidents. As reportedly heating equipment like heaters, water geysers, and electric blankets, and others are the second major cause of home fires.As expected, the majority of home, commercial establishments fires break out in the months of December, January and February.

Heating appliances come with a number of serious dangers that demand a safety protocol to be followed. However, the unawareness regarding safety protocols is causing many unwanted incidents to take place.

While buying any heating appliances it is important to confirm that it is certified for public sale and ensures safe use. Every certified product comes with an information booklet which should be read and understood by the user to follow the do’s and don'ts while using the equipment.
Moreover, the unsupervised use of heating appliances during winter seasons results in burns and bruises to children at home. Therefore, appliances are to be kept at a safe distance from children and other flammable objects in the home that can easily catch fire. To prevent malfunctioning, regular maintenance through professionals is important.                              Prolonged use of electrical heaters in closed settings without proper ventilation can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. This causes headaches, nausea and dizziness among the users.

 “Any appliance can cause hazards but proper management is the key to safety. Be mindful while using the appliance, do not put on the room heater all night. The gas heater cant heat the room properly within 2-3 hours and then you can turn off the heater. The best thing to do is to turn off all electric appliances, not only the heater when you go to sleep. This will protect us from unused energy consumption on one hand and protection from the potential hazard on another,” says Altaf Dar,

“Switching to electric heating is an option for better safety and the environment as well. Also, the discarding of these appliances will add to the waste management issue, so investing in a good heater with a long shelf-life and low energy consumption is a win-win for the economy and the environment,” he concludes.